Now, why would I name this dish lazy? I could have simply called it Dahi Aaloo (Potatoes cooked with curd) or something like that. It was only after I assembled my ingredients and got down to chopping, I realized I barely had anything to chop for this dish. No peeling and dicing potatoes! Very little chopping involved. Otherwise, in most cases preparing for the dish takes more time than cooking it. It is a perfect recipe for someone is looking for a less preparation dish.
This is what you’ll need:-
LAZY CREAMY POTATOES- INDIAN STYLE
- 1 bowl boiled New/Baby Potatoes
- 1 large red onion
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 green chilies
- 1 small piece ginger
- ½ cup fresh cream/malai
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- A few sprigs of coriander
- 1 pinch Asafetida
- 2-3 mint leaves
- 1 cup thick Curd
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Clarified Butter /Ghee
- Salt to taste
1. Drop in your green chilies, peeled ginger and garlic in the mixer grinder. Add 2tbsp water and form a paste. Keep aside.
2. Next, cut onion into four pieces. Finely chop 1 piece, drop the rest into your mixer grinder with 1/4 cup water and form a paste.
Marinating the Potatoes– Add curd, salt, 1/4 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala and mix well. Roughly tear mint leaves and mix it with the potatoes. Keep aside.
1. Preparing the gravy– Heat clarified butter on a high flame and add in your cumin seeds and asafetida. Add chopped onions. Stir.
2. Add chili ginger garlic paste and saute. Next, add in your onion paste, mix and let it brown a bit. Add chili powder, garam masala and turmeric powder. Reduce the flame. Add 1/2 cup water if it gets too dry.
3. Add fresh cream and keep stirring to prevent splitting.
4. After 3-4 minutes, add the marinated potatoes. Cover the lid and cook for 10-15 minutes on a medium flame, stirring at regular intervals. Add water or milk if you want curry.
You can replace potatoes with cottage cheese, or mixed veggies with the same gravy base.