These fritters are definitely for people who are fond of spicy food. The heat from the fresh green chilies hits you right on the palate combined with the sweetness coming from the corn kernels and onions along with the mellow flavor of mozzarella cheese. They all blend really well with each other resulting into an amazing recipe!Continue reading “Sweet Corn and Cheese Chili Fritters”
Eating lentils (dal) everyday can get really monotonous and boring food in the Indian household, especially with children. It is very difficult to make them eat healthy foods. That is when imagination comes in. These savory bites are completely a different form of your regular dal. They are super soft, easy to make and completely hassle-free. Kids are definitely going to ask for more.
For vegetarians, lentils are the greatest source of proteins, dietary fiber, iron and minerals. So, without doubt these bites are completely nutritious. Add in your favorite vegetables in place of corn like grated carrots, green beans, bell-peppers, cheese etc. and create your own variations.
YELLOW LENTIL SAVORY BITES
- 1 1/2 cup yellow lentils(moong dal) (wash and soak overnight)
- 1 cup boiled corn kernels (Coarsely crushed in a mixer grinder)
- 2 tbsp fresh cream (use butter if you like)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch baking soda (Soda Bicarbonate)
- 2 tsp ginger and green chili paste (2 green chillies, 1 inch ginger)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for greasing
1. Grease baking tray and keep aside. Pre-heat oven at 180 degree centigrade.
2. Add yellow lentils in a mixer grinder and blitz to form a smooth paste.
3. In a bowl add in your lentil paste, ginger green chili paste, red chili powder, fresh cream/butter, olive oil, boiled and crushed corn kernels, turmeric powder, salt to taste and 1/4 cup water.
4. Add baking powder and soda bicarbonate. Squeeze a drop of lemon juice on soda bicarbonate for it to activate. Mix well.
5. Pour batter in your greased tin and bake for 25-30 minutes at 180 degree centigrade. (Time may vary). Check with the help of a toothpick.
6. Let it cool for 5 minutes and scrape the sides with help of a knife and unmould.
Serve it up with tomato onion chunky chutney or any dip of your choice.
If you don’t want to bake, have it in the form of crepes or spread the batter on a piece of bread slice and cook it on a non-stick pan.
This is a delicious and creamy dish which is so enjoyable to have. I say enjoyable only because you are bound to use your hands for this. We all know eating with hands is the best way to really connect with food. Biting into the corn on the cob and sucking the juice out from it is a different feeling altogether.
Although, it is up to you whether you want to use corncobs or kernels alone. Either way it a delightful dish to savor. Bell-peppers and corns are a great combination. Feel free to adjust the quantities of the spices used according to your taste.
This is what you will need:-
CORN ON THE COB AND GREEN BELL-PEPPER IN CASHEW NUT GRAVY
- 2 whole boiled corns
- 1 green bell-pepper cut in small cubes
- 1 red onion cut in julienne
- 1/4 cup green chili ginger garlic paste (2 green chilies, 1 tsp chopped ginger, 5-6 cloves garlic)
- ½ cup fresh cream
- 1 cup cashew nut paste (Soak cashew nuts overnight/5-6 hours and blitz to form a smooth paste)
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp pav bhaji masala (optional)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper garlic chutney
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp asafetida
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Juice of half a lemon
1. Add a tsp of salt to water and boil corn in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle. Keep aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and asafetida. Let it release its flavor.
3. Add ginger garlic green chili paste on a medium flame. Sauté for two minutes.
4. Add onions and a dash of salt. Add a little water if you think the bottom of the pan might burn.
5. Next add in your cashew nut paste and cayenne pepper chutney (optional). Give it a mix and add 1/2 a cup of water. Let it cook for 2 minutes and add fresh cream.
6. Add turmeric powder, salt to taste, pav bhaji masala, red chili powder. Give it a mix and cook for another 2-3 minutes on a medium flame. Squeeze juice of half a lemon.
Add bell-pepper and boiled corns.
7. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes on a low flame. Give it a taste and serve hot with flavored rice or just plain will do too.
Fresh Mint Leaves. Cucumber. Curd. being the main ingredients of this recipe led me to name it Summer Coolant Salad. Pasta gives body to the salad, peanuts give the salad a nice crunch; whereas, the rest of the ingredients enhance the taste of the dish. It is refreshing and at the same time very nutritious.
It is important to eat the right kind of foods during summers because they help keep you cool and hydrated. Curd contains good bacteria that increases the immunity level in the body and helps in digestion too. I have curd everyday in the form of Lassi (half glass curd, half glass water, a pinch of freshly ground black pepper and black salt). It tastes delicious. 😉 Needless to say, mint is a perfect summer herb. I love the strong aroma that comes from fresh mint leaves. It is so soothing. I really enjoyed this recipe, hope you all do too. 🙂 You can adjust the quantity of the ingredients as per your taste.Continue reading “Summer Coolant Salad Recipe”
Who wouldn’t like to munch on something so delicious, so satisfying, so crunchy —> CHIPS? Well, at least I am sure, not someone who is reading this post. 😉 I think, sometimes it is okay to nibble on the so called ‘not so healthy food’. Right? I mean, it reminds you of so many glorious edible creations existing on this planet. They are so addictive and clearly no one can eat just one! It is like your hands feel this magnetic force coming from the chips…they don’t seem to pull away. 😉
I wanted to share this easy nachos recipe with you all, just so you can enjoy and share this amazing goodness with your loved ones. I have made this recipe quite a few times now and I don’t seem to get enough of it. They are fun to make. You can even involve little kids; give them cookie cutters to give shape to their chips. It doesn’t have to be triangular every time you know. Hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I do.Continue reading “Easy Homemade Nacho Chips”